Hari’s parents thought it was just heat rash
Hari’s family and community were unaware that he had leprosy and put the patches on his face down to heat rash. Luckily for Hari a LEPRA health worker noticed the raised, anaesthetic patches as a possible sign of leprosy and referred him for treatment.
Before Hari could begin treatment with Multi Drug Therapy (the cure for leprosy) it was found that he was experiencing what is known as a leprosy reaction. This was caused by his body reacting against dead leprosy bacteria.
Leprosy reactions can be very painful and in Hari’s case would have increased the chances of him going blind. In cases like Hari’s specialist expertise and timely treatment are essential. These are available through our specialist referral centres. LEPRA was able to treat Hari’s reaction and help him to keep his sight.
Hari’s father said “We feel LEPRA staff are our family members”, an indication of the quality of care received from LEPRA. Hari was able to go back to school and told us that when he grows up he would like to work as a mechanic in a garage and get married.
Without support in donations and gifts left in Wills LEPRA’s referral centres would not be there to help children like Hari. We ask you to please support this work today.
Do you want more information about this?
Sign-up to be kept up to date with developments
‘I saw them laughing and happy; like me, they knew they were not alone.’
Cheyutha project, India